Thursday, March 22, 2012

To Grandmother's house we go...

Do you know I was thwarted again by rain, yes again!! 

We were on a very tight time budget for this shoot.
You see, it was...is a secret!
I love fun secrets, don't you!!!

This GrammyNan was keeping her two precious grandchildren for just a few days while Mom and Dad were out of town so, she made a plan for a photo session!!

With me of course!
We had made plans to go to a wonderful location, but the sogginess all around just made that option impossible!!  Instead, we decided to work right there at Grammy's house, which turned out to be a wonderful choice!!
I brought all kinds of fun things to distract the kids and make them feel as comfortable as possible, who knew GrammyNan would join in as well??  


I have a pretty big rule for parents (and GrammyNans too) that I am a stickler for at my shoots.  Unless a child is being destructive, is in danger, or is breaking a big family No-No then they must leave directing the kids up to me.  I know this is so tough for parents, but I also know that a shoot can go sour fast when expectations are demanded of kids who don't necessarily know proper photo shoot behavior. So big applause for this Grammy who did an amazing job, just letting me work!


We all know that kids can be unpredictable, but we also know that at the same time they are equally predictable.  That is what I specifically strive to wrangle with as I share a time with children who can be anything from stubborn to shy! I feel like I am more than capable of tackling any personality, and getting genuine expressions from the children as we play...oh I mean work!

It is super important to let the kids just be "themselves", because when they are...oh the shots I can get!!





This brother and sister were completely and totally opposed to being in a shot together...they would have none of it. No hugging, no holding hands, no sitting and grinning at one another, not a single thing I had pictured in my head as a loving sibling shot! 
Guess what?  The best laid plans mean nothing if you can't scrap them and work in the moment!
These were play til you drop kids, run til you tire kids, imagination abounding kids...they weren't lovey dovey sit and grin at my sibling kids. 
However, I had a trick up my sleeve! 
Do you know what pulls almost all children together...without them even knowing it?? 
Stickers!!!

Yes, you heard me right...stickers!!











Big brother let sister go first, and helped guide her to the Perfect cat sticker, it was a delicious moment.


See...Perfect!!!

These two kids had so many wonderful expressions and I was so thankful to be able to capture them all, from the silly to the serious!




This was a super special shoot for me, as I worked to capture moments for this family especially the Grammy!  I can't wait to hear how the surprise turns out for Mom and Dad too!!

Blessings to you,
Jennifer